Other information and services: www.belgium.be

Town and country planning

Each Seveso establishment needs to obtain an environmental licence before it may start operating.

This environmental licence is issued by the regional authorities. They check whether the establishment or expansion of a (new) Seveso establishment constitutes an acceptable risk to the environment, e.g. residential and nature areas.

Thus, the operator will need to prove that it is able to adequately manage the risks of its site and limit the consequences of a possible accident.