In the event of an emergency at a Seveso establishment, the government may recommend that you shelter.
By staying inside, you make sure you are safe.
- Stay inside or enter the nearest building. Stay inside until you are informed that it is safe again.
- Close all windows, doors and turn off all ventilation, heating and air conditioning systems. Preferably stay in a central area, on the ground floor. Walls and ceilings offer better protection than windows.Shut off the supply of outside air of your chimney.
- Listen to the government's recommendations. Inform yourself about the right measures via radio, TV, the official websites and social media.
Also please note:
- Do not make unnecessary phone calls. An overload of the network can disrupt the assistance provided.
- Leave your children at school. They will follow the same recommendations.
- Bring in your pets.
In the car
- If you are close to your home, workplace or a public building, enter immediately. Follow the same recommendations as above.
- If you cannot enter the nearest building, park your vehicle in a safe place or follow a route perpendicular to the direction of the wind.
- Stop the engine, close the windows and turn off the air conditioning to prevent outside air from entering your vehicle.
- Listen to the radio to follow the recommendations of the authorities.
- Stay where you are until the authorities give you permission to leave again. Take into account the traffic (diversions, closed roads, etc.) and follow the instructions of the police.
Sheltering is a temporary measure. You will have to shelter for a few hours at most. Is the situation not safe after a few hours? Then you may have to evacuate.