The establishments as well as the authorities regularly test their contingency plan. Seveso exercises are organized at the level of the province and/or borough.
There are two kinds of exercises:
- The theoretical exercises: the different actors gather around the table and discuss the best way to intervene in a real-world scenario.
- The exercises on the field: the exercise is directed on the site of the emergency situation (simulation). Theoretically, the teams and means are really laid out on the site, but different arrangements are possible.
An exercise is always profitable for all the persons involved, since it enables a.o. to:
- Make the participants aware of the problem;
- Encourage people from different backgrounds to get to know each other and work together;
- Remind the different existing working methods and improve the knowledge;
- Apply, evaluate and – if necessary - adapt the existing procedures.